Article number: 300030057
Product: 1/35 WWI Brit. Tank Mk. IV Male (mot.)
Tamiya is delighted to announce its maiden foray into the world of WWI models, in the year which marks the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of hostilities in what was then known as the Great War. The tanks which appeared in the conflict were the first ever seen on the battlefield, and were the forerunners of a whole line of military vehicles which is still being developed further today. The Mk.IV tank was a successor to the Mk.I, which was drawn up by British designers in attempt to break the stalemate of trench warfare experienced on the Western Front; the rhombus-shaped hull was designed to aid in crossing the extensive network of trenches. The Mk.I, first thrown into live action in September 1916 during the Battle of the Somme, had "male" (fitted with 57mm, 6-pound guns) and "female" (fitted only with machine guns) versions. Around 1,000 Mk.IV tanks were
manufactured after 1917, and they inherited their shape and male/female weaponry and classifications from the Mk.I, but with significantly upgraded armor. Around 400 were used en masse in the November 1917 Battle of Cambrai to great effect, and with the world cottoning on to the new vehicle’s potential the maiden tank vs. tank battle was not far behind: in 1918, the Mk.IV faced off against its German counterpart the AV7.
About the Model
• This is a 1/35 scale motorized plastic model assembly kit. Length: 230mm.
• Extensive study of the tank at the Tank Museum in Bovington, England has led to a model which faithfully recreates the form of this ground-breaking vehicle.
• Pre-assembled single motor gearbox enables forward movement.
• The assembly of the armor plates mirrors that on the Mk.IV.
• Numerous road wheels, idler wheels and drive sprockets are accurately captured with a hassle-free assembly.
• Chains on the unditching beam are depicted using metal parts,
• Comes with 3 marking options, including one to recreate a vehicle which took part in the Battle of Cambrai.
• Use with Item 35339 1/35 WWI British Infantry Set to create a thrilling WWI diorama.